So, Pete and I went to our first Ultrasound appointment this morning. I was barely able to keep my cereal down on the way to the doctor's office this morning. And this time, it was nerves not morning sickness. Luckily Pete agreed to drive us both and drop me off at work. I'm positive it was not safe for me to drive. My mind was whirling. So, he came back with me and he was nervous about being in the office and what was going on. My trepidation focused on the health of my baby and all that this information would tell us. Pete has had nothing but optimism and joy to share in this experience and this morning was no different.
So, we started the ultrasound and it was obvious from the start that there was a baby living in there. I had an ultrasound about 18 months ago, not related to pregnancy, and this looked different. Lisa was our tech and did a fabulous job explaining what we were looking at. Everything is right on track according to my understanding of when we conceived and the fact that I am 7 weeks and 1 day today. The baby is very tiny but we were able to see that there was indeed a little one in there....living, healthy and active. We could watch the tiny heart beat and the baby flutter. The baby is 8-9 mm long (~0.35 inch) - exactly on target for gestation of 7 weeks. The baby, confirmed to be only one, is positioned near the top of my uterus, where they want the baby to be and everything is right on! Now, my morning could have been complete with this information alone. Seeing our child for the first time was an amazing and humbling experience. But, the story doesn't end here....
Because of the type of ultrasound that I had, a trans-vaginal ultrasound, because it is so early in the pregnancy, not only were we able to see the baby and the tiny heartbeat of 136 beats per minute (measured by wonderful Lisa)...we were able to hear it!!! It was so strong and pure. I had to hold my breath slightly to be able to hear it but I kept tensing because of the tears that I had and saw in the eyes of my husband. When I would tense, the sound would go away...so...I just cried and listened to the most amazing sound I've ever heard!
You all are being so supportive as Pete and I begin this journey and each of you deserved to know these most precious details of our amazing day.
Nicole

No comments:
Post a Comment